August 13, 2012

Custom Acoustic Treatment

This is a placeholder right now for the acoustic treatment I'm using in my room, which is a work in progress. Who wants their room to look like a stack of stock panels have been thrown up into their room? Even if you have a dedicated room, you really don't want that look and sometimes you need to go for custom work to get the look you want. The scheme I'm working on includes:

1. Large corner bass traps (floor to ceiling and 1.1m wide) which serves as a baffle for horns and also hides my active woofers.

These are made and waiting for my S3 point source horns. They include a pegboard membrane on the front and are wrapped in black cloth and use rigid fibreglass.

The baffle will allow me to have an ideal mouth termination on the horn. It will also visually integrate the horns into the room. Basically they will disappear, I'm going for the invisible built-in look.

2. Rug on the bare timber floor (probably).

3. Soffit bass traps at the ceiling/wall junction over the listening position.

This location is the most "out of sight" and in a small room this is important.

4. Rear corner bass trap.

This could either be a large broadband trap, which I've used here previously, or an arrangement of L shaped pressure traps or helmholz resonators. The broadband trap works, but will conflict a little with the surrounds on the side walls. It's a good excuse to go to the extra effort to experiment with narrow band low profile traps.

5. Diffusers.

In my room which is small, the focus is firstly on treating the bass and then on improving the overall sonic signature of the room. Horns can change the game a little, because it eliminates first reflection points. There are less reflections to deal with, so room reflections take on a longer path and are less dominant. Being a small room, the focus shifts to retaining some of that energy and diffusers tend to have a more natural sound than a bare wall.

You may recall this reverb time chart posted recently:


The orange line is my S2 and you can see the even reverb that is quite a bit lower than the other two rooms. The blue line is a room at the Australian hifi show. The red is a large and open room with some Linkwitz Orion speakers. Apart from the unexpected anomaly in the midrange, the orange line shows close to ideal performance in a small room.

Custom treatment and room analysis


In combination with my room meaurement service, I also now offer custom room treatment. No longer can you say "yes but my wife won't approve!" This service is available in Melbourne.

Not in Melbourne? I'm now introducing a remote room consultation service, whereby you take your own measurements, following instructions provided, and I will then analyse the results and make sense of them for you. In many cases, online help in this area on forums is a case of the blind leading the blind, and many people  don't have time for a wild goose chase. You need to know what tools to buy, exactly how to measure, what to measure and then how to interpret the results and then what to do with them. I can help with all of these aspects, and in the end, if you make further changes in your system, or even move house, you will still have the tools.

Request room measurement service >

2 comments:

  1. Really keen to see the updates (bring on this pics) for this one :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. With black ceiling and rich red walls, my room is challenging to photograph! My days of raw prototype traps are over. I've now committed to finishing it to a showroom standard - it will be my demo room and I'll aim to have most of my products on show, or at least a good sample. HE2 is almost there, planning to add a budget stand mount kit and an entry level cinema series 10" kit. The stand mount is the first of a series of kits to fill the hole left by LSK (Loudspeaker kit). An 18" sub kit is on the horizon, along with a serious in-wall surround and an on-wall surround.

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated.